Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Last Dance with the Red Devil

It's chemo eve.  Tomorrow I dance my last dance with the Red Devil. I'm dreading it but am also eager to get it over with. Onward and upward to Taxol!  New side effects to look forward to!

For those who have never heard of the Red Devil (and lucky you are), it's the breast cancer patients' affectionate term for adriamycin. Its side effects include nausea, vomiting and life-threatening heart damage.  Well, that all sounds familiar, doesn't it?

The Red Devil got its name because it's red in color and needs to be administered by a nurse "by hand" a small bit at a time.  I get 5 huge syringes full during each session and it takes about 45 minutes to administer the whole dose.  It makes us patients feel terrible, hence the devil reference.

Well, tomorrow is that last time I have to deal with the Red Devil.  Coming up are 4 more chemo sessions with a different drug, Taxol.  My oncologist will tell me all about the new side effects tomorrow.  I know one of them is the loss of eyebrows and eyelashes and numbness in my fingers.  That should make typing at work interesting. 

I'm feeling good - physically and emotionally.  I'm almost chipper!  But you know that won't last and you'll have to be read a bunch of cranky, complaining posts.  My last chemo session was brutal.  I felt sick for over a week, and didn't really get off the couch until Saturday AFTER Thanksgiving.

We shall see how this last Red Devil session goes.  Hans (my brother) and his wife, Joanne, are here to help so that will be a nice highlight.

As a side note, I love my oncologist, Dr. Mary Wasserheit and especially her nurse, Sheryl!  They always make me feel like I'm their only patient and they've been eagerly waiting two whole weeks for me to come back!  Once again I can't say enough good things about Sloan Kettering and its staff - they are the absolute best!

Next time you get cancer, consider paying them a visit.

11 comments:

  1. Heidi, hoffentlich geht es Dir bei der letzten Sitzung(Red Devil)besser, als bei den anderen vorher.
    Wir drücken und umarmen dich!
    Schön, daß Hans und Joanne bei Dir sind, liebe Grüße an Alle!
    Margit und Xaver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi..Love you! Need to talk soon k?
    and dare I say "Happy Birthday!" I hope you have some good moments..xoxoxoxo Jex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, I hope you a great Birthday today! You are a trooper. :)
    -Rachel Wise (Jessi's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ♫•*¨*•.¸¸Happy Birthday to you ... ¸¸.•*¨*•♫
    ♫•*¨*•.¸¸Happy Birthday to you ... ¸¸.•*¨*•♫
    ♫•*¨*•.¸¸Happy Birthday dear Heidi¸¸.•*¨*•♫
    ♫•*¨*•.,, Happy Birthday to you!! •*¨*•♫

    Stay positive and think healing thoughts! Although we have never met, you have been in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Heidi. I'm sure next years' will be much more enjoyable.
    Rooting from Columbus
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Heidi! I have never met you either, but you are inspiring to me. Jessi is a good friend, even if she is a wicked tickler, and my son is totally in love with Mae. I hope you win the mirror ball in your dance with the red devil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feeling the love for you through jessi. We are all wishing you the quickest recovery and the Happiest of Birthdays!
    joni duffy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heidi,
    viel Glück und viel Segen, auf all deinen Wegen, Gesundheit und Frohsinn, das schenke dir Gott.
    Alles, alles Gute zum Geburtstag
    Christel und Rolf

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Heidi! This is the year to kick some cancer butt!
    Love from Columbus,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liebe Heidi,
    Dir meine besten Wuensche zu deinem Geburtstag! Ich hoffe dir geht es gut und du hast viel Spass mi deiner lieben Familie!
    Eine besinnliche Adventszeit!
    Sei umarmt von Irmgard

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belated Birthday Greetings to you Heidi!
    Miss you.
    Big hugs
    I xox

    ReplyDelete