Sunday, October 24, 2010

Chemotherapy is kicking my butt! Or am I kicking its?

Hm, it depends:

Chemotherapy's points:  Well, I don't feel good. My face is bright red (from the anti-nausea medicine) and I basically feel like I have the flu. I feel like I have a high fever (very hot head) but I don't at all. I have a headache and I'm completely constipated (sorry if too much info). I sometimes get nauseous but if I eat something, it goes away. I'm tired.

Heidi 's points: I can get out of bed. I'm not vomiting constantly. I'm not moving quickly but I'm getting around. I can do laundry. I'm not sleeping all day long. I will try to go watch Leo's soccer game and the Steelers are on TV here in NY!

I think a big important point is that they have made amazing strides with drugs recently. I'm taking something called "Emend" which has only been out about 5 years. It's being hailed as the miracle drug and I guess I have to agree. This experience has not been as bad as I feared it would be based on what I read other people went through in older books.

That doesn't mean I feel great and that this isn't hard. I'm really worried about tomorrow (Monday - when I might try going to work) because I'm not scheduled to take the anti-nausea drug. But hopefully that means I won't need it and I'll be ok.

And let's face it, I would be in much worse pain if I had been in some kind of accident. I don't really have pain per se - just feeling generally crappy.  I would sum it up by saying I feel like I have the flu.

So am I winning or is the chemo?  Maybe I'm winning this round at least?

12 comments:

  1. Heidi- You are phenomenal- I am so proud of you and your wonderful positive outlook. I feel blessed that you are my daughter in law and thank God every day that you and David have one another.
    I went on a shopping spree, lots of hats,glove, sox, etc. You can pick and choose what if any you want - it will be fun to model them.
    xxoo, B

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely kicking butt and I do think you should write a book, you are so talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. heidi; think of the chemo as being on your side; it's your warrior buddy fighting the real enemy!! you are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi..brave warrior. You have our love behind you around you and in you.. and also in front of you. I am thinking of you always. love you sooooo.. Jex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi.. I am very eager to hang with you asap.. looking forward to Nov 17!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. xoxoxoxoxxxoxoxxoooooooooxoxoooxoxoooxoxoxoxoooxoxoooxoxxxoxoxxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxxoxooooooxoxoxooxxoxoxxooxxooxxo..... love ya, JEX

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, one more thing.. may God bless you and keep you, may God wrap his arms around you, may God laugh with you and give you peace.. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB3Y94b9bVk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugs from Columbus. We are all thinking of you here and praying for you every day. Jex has created quite a prayer ring here for you. Lots of good energy being sent to you. I pray that your overall feeling of malaise stays somewhat manageable. A blessing that you are in the best care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi, Du wirst die Runde gewinnen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heidi, Mensch, wie doof! Dir ganz viel Kraft! Dein Koerper ist ein Kampfgebiet! Lass es dir trotzdem gut gehen, damit alle die gemeinen Krebszellen verschwinden!!!

    ReplyDelete