Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Drain is Out!

I am so happy!

Friday I called asking for an appointment the following week to have the drain taken out. They told me if I could get to the office by 4 pm that day, they could do it. It was a horribly rainy and cold day.  It was either stay home nice and dry and suffer through a whole weekend with the drain or venture out into the unpleasant weather. So I rushed to the train and arrived by 2:15.

The nurse told me removing the drain wouldn't hurt and it didn't!  I can't believe it! Here I was so worried and even wasted a valium...

My surgeon was also there and wanted to see the scar. She said she's only done that particular type of incision 15 other times and she was interested to see how it looked.  She was quite pleased with herself!  She got the large tumor, the small benign one and 17 lymph nodes all with just one incision. I will have scarring which you'll be able to see if I wear a tank top but that's no big deal. She's such a nice lady and I also think she did a great job. Her name is Dr. Mary Gemignani - if you ever have need of her services (and I sincerely hope you never will).

I also found out that I saw her and the anesthesiologist before surgery in the OR and was actually talking to them! I have no memory of that.  She said they gave me a mild sedative but most people still remember that type of thing - I don't. Also, she clarified that instead of telling me to count backwards from 100 or saying "Let's get started", they just said, "Heidi, we'll take good care of you."  I said "Ok" and then I was out. Well, I'm kind of glad I don't remember as much as I could. It's not the kind of thing I care to remember. But it's nice to know that the surgery didn't happen as suddenly as it seemed without any formality.

6 comments:

  1. Liebe Heidi, endlich hast Du die Drainage raus. Du fühlst Dich bestimmt nun wohler. Jetzt musst Du Dich nur noch schonen und alles muss richtig abheilen. Alles Gute Christel

    ReplyDelete
  2. hurrah! out, out, damned drain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yippee...another milestone! Drain be gone for good!still Ottavia and not Patrick btw xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gute Nachrichten! Ich wünsche dir weiterhin alles Gute, deine Irmgard (Schule hat wieder ganz und gar angefangen ...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ich denk an dich - die Sonne scheint, hab ein grandioses Wochenende!!!

    ReplyDelete