Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bummer!

I had the appointment today. Everything is going well. We got details on the pathology report. They removed 17 lymph nodes, only 2 of which had cancer (which means it probably hasn't spread far). The margins the surgeon removed around the tumor were clear which means they got all of the cancer out.  Next it's on to chemotherapy!  I have an appointment with an oncologist on October 15th.

The huge bummer is that they refused to remove the drain!  Aaak!  The drain wins round 2 after all!!!  There's still too much fluid leaking out. Apparently I have been too active and not resting enough. I have been doing the exercises they recommended and have almost full range of motion of my arm back. So I've been doing my normal things - loading dishwasher, etc.  I could even shave under my arm if I had an electric razor! They were pleased with the range of motion but the drain must stay in.  Once the fluid reduces to 30 ml per day, I need to call them and make an appointment to come back in to the city to have it removed. That will probably be next week!  So totally inconvenient and depressing. Even with all of the other good news I can't help but be down.

For my coworkers, the surgeon wants me to stay out through next week. After that she said it's up to the oncologist to clear me for work. But since I won't see the oncologist til 10/15, I think I will just plan to be in the office starting 10/11, unless someone tells me otherwise.

5 comments:

  1. Hallo Heidi - das klingt ja alles gut - tut mir leid, dass diese Drainage noch da ist, ich glaube, das ist wichtig, damit keine Oedeme auftreten. Ruh' dich aus und geniess den lieblichen Ort Irvington, alles Liebe, deine Irmgard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo Heidi, schön, nach der schlimmen Nachricht nun eine bessere zu hören. Nun musst Du Geduld haben. Aber die hast Du ja bestimmt. - Bleibt Dir ja auch nichts anderes übrig -
    You are very brave. 1,000 hugs of us.
    Liebe Grüße Christel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi,

    I'm trying to remember highschool German so I can fit in and all that is coming to mind is Ich bin zwischen zwei kartoffeln. Sorry about the drain -- you're right, huge bummer!! Hope it comes out soon, and great that your arm is functioning again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo liebe Heidi
    ich besuche deinen Blog und dachte, was Neues zu erfahren, aber so ist es auch gut, denn "No news is good news!" dir ein wunderbares Wochenende, erhol' dich und gib dir Ruhe, damit du für den nächsten Teil viel Kraft hast!
    Alles Gute und Liebe, deine Irmgard

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey sis.. is the drain out ?? xoxo Jex

    ReplyDelete