Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Surgery Tomorrow!

Yahoo!  The day is almost here!  Ok, obvious sarcasm but I am a bit looking forward to getting phase 1 of the breast cancer battle over.  Clearly I will win.

 Everyone has been asking:  The needle localization is at 10 am.  This is where they insert a thin wire which will point to exactly where the small, benign tumor was. The surgeon wants to remove some of the surrounding tissue. Since it's so incredibly small, she needs a wire to follow to find it. The wire will be inserted during a mammogram. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?  I'm relying on one of my 3 prescribed valium pills to get me through this.

The actual lumpectomy is at noon.  With nothing else, it would last a mere 20 minutes. But they are also removing lymph nodes so that will take up another 25 minutes or so. The whole procedure should last about an hour. I will be under anesthesia so I don't need to use up one of my precious valium pills for this one.

David is going to try to post to the blog from the hospital with updates.  However, if you should happen to read some weird, crazy entries, they've probably been posted by me under the influence of heavy narcotics. Just ignore. If the emails make sense, they are from David.

Ok, I'm getting ready to try to relax with my family. I will use one of the valiums tonight to sleep. That leaves one left over for emergencies, like if I have to wait too long for surgery and I start to feel normal.

I can't say this enough, but thank you to all for the calls, emails and prayers.  Between work and the kids starting a new school (and getting on the wrong bus and having to pay for lunch) I haven't had the chance to respond. But I have read them all and appreciate each and every one of them and YOU, my awesome friends and family!

8 comments:

  1. my heart is with you! soo much!! LOVE YOU and sleep well.. your exclusive only sis, JEX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allerbeste Heidi!

    Dir alles alles Gute zur Operation! Ich bewundere dich, sei umarmt! Dir Kraft und Stärke und viel!! Gesundheit!

    Deine Irmgard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to know what Irmgard is saying :)!!! Secret German language - ha! Thinking of you all! Love, Ginny, Steve, Christopher, Caroline and Kendall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you today Heidi. We are all sending you good thoughts and prayers.
    The Rosado family in Columbus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi, wir denken an Dich, daß es Dir bald wieder gut geht!
    Margit und Xaver

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I have to sneak my Mac into your room via an old bed pan to get that drug induced posting from you I will :-)

    Prayers and more prayers for your family (the grown kind and the little kind). May they drip with the peace, strength, and support you all need.

    In the words of the immortal MJ: Beat It.

    Faith, hope, love, and a little pixie dust.
    CTR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi,

    Hope everything went well and the valium helped. I've been thinking about you all day.

    ReplyDelete