Thursday, September 23, 2010

1 Week Anniversay

It's been a week since the surgery and I'm doing MUCH better. The pain is now localized to just the left side of my chest and left arm and it's not intolerable. I've downgraded to Tylenol so that's a good sign!

An even bigger development is the fact that I finally looked at the "site". Very interesting experience. I didn't actually mean to but I caught a glimpse in the mirror after a shower and I just looked. It's not as gross and hideous as I imagined so I'm glad I did it.

Yes, there are some nasty, spider-web looking sutures. I wonder why they feel they need to use BLACK thread (or whatever it is)? Maybe to be able to see what they've done? I must say the sewing looks pretty professional and straight, though. I know I have a good surgeon.

Then there's the cavern going through the left side of my breast. Also kind of creepy looking but it is what it is. You don't have a tumor and lymph nodes removed without have some kind of hole to show for it. Supposedly it will "fill out" a bit but if I want it to look natural, I need reconstruction. Ha, do they really think I will put myself through this again voluntarily? Not a chance. I will stuff my bra with cotton balls the rest of my life to avoid going through another surgery!

Not to be neglected is the drain hanging out of the site. Yes, a big plastic tube with a bulb at the end constantly filling with gross things that I won't describe. I have heard that is hurts when they take the drain out, similar to when a band aid gets ripped off. I'm considering using my last valium for the procedure, just in case.

Rounding out the scenery is the fact that I haven't shaved under my arm for over a week. I don't think that's happened since I was 12. I'm curious to see how it looks in another week. I'm not allowed to use a regular razor anymore because of the chance of nicks and infection. So I need to buy an electric razor but first I need to be able to lift my arm!

All in all, things are much better. In another week the drain will be removed and hopefully I'll be feeling almost back to normal. Just in time to start chemotherapy!

7 comments:

  1. Sis, you are so good w words!!! i am so glad for your blog. Looking forward to being w you! LOVE< JEX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, du bist so eine tapfere Frau, man muß dich einfach loben! Mache weiter so!
    Alles Gute bei der Chemotherapie, möge es dir gut gehen dabei.

    Liebe Grüße Margit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo Heidi, ich bin so stolz auf dich - do hast hingesehen, ich finde, das ist gut! Und unter'm Arm bist du nun eine Ost-Deutsche (dort wurde nicht rasiert ... )
    Ich freue mich sehr, dass es dir so viel besser geht, danke für den Update, ich hatte schon mehrmals deinen blog besucht, um zu sehen, wie es dir geht.
    Alles Gute, du Breast Cancer Survivor!!!

    Heute ist Steuben Parade, ich gehe nicht hin, es gibt keine Karten mehr fürs Fest im Central Park, naja!

    ReplyDelete
  4. heidi, i'm so proud of you! you were a real trooper all last week. good job! will be there to see you thru the next chapter. love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU ARE truly amazing..and you retain a sense of humor on top of it all! God Bless you! I hope you keep feeling better and stronger. My armpit hair would make you feel better I am sure. Ottavia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo Heidi, wir wünschen Dir alles Gute. Liebe Grüße Christel

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you are doing much better!! Yay! I love that you are updating so much so I can stay in the loop. much love.

    ReplyDelete