Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Hair Saga Continues...

First of all, I feel much better. On Thursday I realized I had gone the whole day without feeling nauseous. I'm still tired all the time but that's not too bad. It could be worse, as we all know.

Meanwhile there have been a great deal of hair developments. Mom left on Monday and wanted to take some of my hair with her. She's going to try to get it on a hat or something so I have some of my real hair to wear once in a while. If she can pull it off, she might as well go into wig-making. I don't know what's she's going to try, exactly, but she's a crafty lady so I'm quite intrigued.

I managed to rally myself from the bed long enough for her and David to shave my head. At first I cried a few tears but very soon it became apparent that I looked like Demi Moore in GI Jane (maybe not quite so pretty). Which made me remember that our military folks go through this a lot, too. It's really no big deal. Plus David and Mom managed to convince me that I have a "cute" head. It's just that no one knew until now because I have/had so much hair.

So then I tried on the wig. It looked horrible!  Hair sticking straight out and no matter what we did, we couldn't get it to lie flat!  David rushed out of the room so he wouldn't show how horrified he was - I knew right away that's what he was doing.  Mom and I kept trying - "it looked so good at the hairdresser's..."  FINALLY I realized that I had put it on upside down!  Sheesh, what a goofball!  I put it on correctly and VOILA!  Gorgeous!

So the new profile picture shows me with the wig on the right way (but with no makeup and feeling about to throw up).  It also shows David wearing a hat with some hair attached that I also received from a friend.  It's good for when you're rushing out to the grocery.  Doesn't he look cute?  That and the black eye (from an incident at his ultimate frisbee game) make him look like a perfect candidate for an episode of Ice Road Truckers.  I'm just saying.

On Tuesday I got ready for work. We were rushing around as usual and I put the wig on right before we headed out.  I asked Max and Leo, "How do I look?"  Max: "WEELLL, just a little bit ugly."  Me: "What?  That's not too nice to say."  Leo: "Well, Mom, just a teensy, weensy bit ugly." I couldn't help but feel a bit self-conscious after that but I chalk their comments up to the fact that they're just 8 and 6. I do look a lot different with the wig.

So I went to work and the wig received many compliments. Some people thought I had just changed my hairstyle.  But the wig itched.  Wednesday it itched more.  I couldn't wait to get home to take it off.  I have about .5 inches of stubble all over my head and I think that's what causes the itching.  I kept scratching and then had a brilliant idea - TAPE!!!!  I wrapped some around my hand and started patting my head - plenty of hair came off and it felt so good!  Guess who got involved?  The boys!  Next thing I know my head is covered with pieces of packing tape (nice and sticky) and Max and Leo are pulling, pulling hair out.  It felt fabulous.  When it was time to go to bed, Leo begged David to "leave some for me for tomorrow"! I still have a lot of stubble and debating another tape party for tomorrow night.

Who knew the side effects of cancer could be so fun???

3 comments:

  1. Heidi, you are hysterically funny!! I am so glad you feel fabulous in the wig because it is gorgeous on you! Doesn't take much since you are beautiful, but that wig is kicking indeed.
    I think I will chuckle myself to sleep tonight thinking about your tape party!
    Good night. xxxOttavia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo Heidi - sehr lustig - und schicke die Idee zu "Super Nanny" wenn die Kinder nicht zu bändigen sind, mach eine Tape Party ...Die Perücke steht dir und wenn du eine sehr rote oder lila oder .., willst, dann wende dich an mich!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) ahaa..read the bronchitis blog first.. now i get what's up with Vid's eye!! Extreme frisbee??! interesting. He totally looks semitruck-ready!! heehee I do seriously think you look great! Really nice to see you smiling. Can't wait to hug you!! Long overdue. I am really needing a Heidi hug!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete